Together, We Volunteer
Together, we give our time. We share our skills and expertise. We make friends. We have fun. We work behind the scenes so that artists can take centre stage. We are among the first to arrive in the morning and last to leave at the end of the day. We sell tickets, answer questions, serve beer, and take photos. We share our love of fringing with the world. Together, we volunteer.
The Edmonton Fringe is built on the legacy of four decades of volunteerism. It truly takes a village to run the Fringe – and volunteers are at the heart of it all!
Our Volunteer Program
When you volunteer with us you join an enthusiastic, diverse family united in their love for fringing, theatre, and community. Volunteers support various areas of the event such as box offices, beer tents, first aid, and front of house. More than 15% of our volunteers have been volunteering with us for more than 10 years! We even have volunteers who have been serving since the Edmonton Fringe first exploded onto the scene in 1982.
We welcome volunteers of all backgrounds, abilities, and strengths. Our volunteer program centers on teamwork, respect, and creativity. Each volunteer team has its own set of requirements, but we have some basic requirements that apply to all Fringe volunteers.
All volunteers must:
- Be 14 years of age or older at the start of the event;
- Complete and online orientation course and attend team-specific training;
- Serve a minimum of 4 shifts (approximately 16 hours) during the 11-day event;
- Agree to and abide by our Volunteer Code of Conduct, including COVID-19 mitigation protocols (as described below); and
- Fulfill additional team-specific requirements, as outlined in the team descriptions.
If you have any questions about our volunteer requirements or would like to chat with us about your needs, skills, preferences, and any potential accommodations or job modifications, please get in touch! Contact us at email@example.com or 780-409-1922.
We’re committed to creating a respectful, safe, clean environment where community can thrive. We’re taking COVID-19 mitigation and safety processes very seriously. We are choosing to maintain strict safety mitigations inside our theatre venues and around all outdoor venues. These measures ensure even our most vulnerable community members can fringe with us.
We want the return to fringing to be an enjoyable experience for everyone. We’re all in this together. We need your help to make this as safe an event as possible. By volunteering with us this year, you agree to upholding the following COVID-19 mitigation measures.
- Wear your mask. Volunteers will be expected to wear a mask at all times while on shift, except while on break in the volunteer patio. Every shift will include a 30-minute break to unmask, relax, and enjoy a meal from the volunteer kitchen.
- Keep your distance. We are reducing the number of volunteers working in certain areas, such as box offices and beer tents, to provide more space for physical distancing. Barriers will be installed in areas where patrons and volunteers are in close contact.
- Wash your hands. Volunteers will be asked to wash or sanitize their hands before, during, and after their shift. Hand washing stations and hand sanitizer will be available throughout the site.
- Stay home if you’re unwell. Volunteers will be expected to complete a daily health check before they come to site or start their shift. Anyone who is sick or presenting symptoms of COVID-19 will be asked to stay home.
- Sign in and out. It’s important that every volunteer signs in and out at Prowse Chowne Volunteer Headquarters for every shift. This will help us maintain accurate records should contact tracing need to occur.
To learn more about our general COVID-19 mitigation and safety processes, visit Fringe Safe.
Volunteers are the backbone of fringing. Here are a few ways we show our love and appreciation for all our volunteers do:
- One complimentary ticket to a performance in the ATB Park;
- Volunteer streaming pass to view digital content;
- Boxed meal and snack to enjoy on your break or to take home;
- Fringe-themed volunteer t-shirt and reusable cloth mask;
- Collector’s edition Fringe-themed pin (available only to volunteers!);
- Commemorative Fringe 40th anniversary volunteer gift;
- Exclusive access to a staff, artist, and volunteer lounge;
- Discount in beer tents and at other vendors on site;
- Name recognition on site; and
- Prize draws and other surprises!
Youth and Guardian Waiver
If you are under 18 years of age or have a legal guardian, you must complete and attach a signed waiver to your application. The waiver can be accessed here or through a link in the application form.2021 YOUTH/LEGAL GUARDIAN WAIVER
Volunteer Policy and Procedure Manual
This manual covers all Fringe Theatre Volunteer Department policies and procedures.Volunteer Policy & Procedure Manual
Volunteer Disciplinary & Grievance Procedure
This document outlines the procedures that Fringe Theatre follows to respond to volunteer disciplinary action and the grievance tools available to volunteers.Volunteer Disciplinary & Grievance Procedure
Volunteer complaints or grievances can be submitted through our online form.Make a complaint or raise a grievance here
The volunteer department staff are here to help if you have any questions about the volunteer program. Once your application has been accepted, most of your questions can be directed to your Team Leaders – our wonderful group of 100+ year round volunteers who support and supervise volunteers before and during the Fringe.
Volunteer Mailing List
If you’re interested in receiving information and updates about our volunteer program, please subscribe to our volunteer mailing list.