Calling all theatre lovers, arts supporters, community builders, and festival enthusiasts!
Edmonton Fringe Theatre is a grassroots, DIY movement that cultivates ongoing collisions between community and art. Since our inception in 1982, volunteers have been both the heart and the backbone. At Fringe Theatre, we cultivate art, celebrate community, put people first, take risks, thrive on change, honour our past, and push forward.
Our Festival Volunteer Program
The Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival is North America’s largest, longest-running Fringe Theatre Festival. From August 17 – 27, 2023, we will host hundreds of artists and thousands of patrons in theatres around Old Strathcona and across Edmonton. It will take a team of 1,000 volunteers to make it happen!
This is your opportunity to join a passionate, dedicated, and inclusive team united in their love for fringing, theatre, and community. Be part of something uniquely Edmonton that doesn’t exist quite the same anywhere else in the world, something that only happens because of the commitment of volunteers like you. Joining our volunteer team means you believe in the power of theatre and storytelling to change hearts and minds.
Over 180 of our volunteers have been with us for 10+ years!
Are you ready to fringe with us this summer? Review the steps in your volunteer journey to the Edmonton Fringe. Then, read on to learn more about our requirements and available positions.
We welcome Volunteers of all backgrounds, abilities, and strengths. Our Volunteer program centers on teamwork, respect, and creativity. Each Volunteer team has its own set of qualifications, but we have some basic requirements that apply to all Fringe Volunteers.
All Volunteers must:
- Be 14 years of age or older at the start of the Festival;
- Complete an online orientation course and attend team-specific training;
- Serve a minimum of 4 shifts (approximately 16 hours) during the 11-day Festival;
- Agree to and abide by our Volunteer Code of Conduct; and
- Fulfil additional team-specific qualifications, as outlined in the team descriptions.
When volunteering with Edmonton Fringe, you join a team of passionate theatre enthusiasts and arts supporters. In addition to meeting new people and connecting with the arts community, here are a few of the perks we offer to Fringe Festival volunteers:
- Vouchers to redeem for tickets to Festival, Holdovers, and Season shows;
- Access to Festival tickets given to volunteers by artists;
- Hot meals and snacks on the days of your shifts;
- Discounts in the beer tents, Fringe Grounds Cafe, and other on-site vendors;
- Fringe-themed volunteer t-shirt and Program Guide;
- Collector’s edition Fringe-themed pin (available only to volunteers!);
- Invitations to exclusive volunteer events and parties;
- Name recognition around the Festival site; and
- Prize draws and other surprises!
Want to learn more about becoming a Fringe volunteer? Join us for a virtual information session. We’ll review our volunteer teams, requirements, benefits, and steps to becoming a volunteer. There will also be time to ask questions about the Festival and volunteer program.
Wednesday, June 7 (12:00 – 1:00 PM) – <<Register Now>>
Tuesday, June 20 (6:00 – 7:00 PM) – <<Register Now>>
The Volunteer Department is made up of two staff members – Drew Delbaere (left), Manager of Volunteer Engagement, and Molly Wreakes (right), Coordinator of Volunteer Engagement. We are here to help! If you have any questions about our volunteer program or would like to chat with us about your needs, skills, preferences, and any potential accommodations or job modifications, please contact us.
Once your application has been accepted, most of your questions can be directed to your Team Leaders – our wonderful group of year-round volunteers who schedule, support, and train volunteers before and during the Festival. Your team’s contact information can be found on the homepage of your Better Impact account after your application has been accepted.
Want to be among the first to hear about upcoming volunteer opportunities? Sign up for our monthly volunteer newsletter! We keep volunteers in the loop about everything happening at Fringe Theatre throughout the year.