Want to be part of the largest Fringe Festival in North America? With more than 1,600 performances by 1,500 artists in 50 venues over 11 days, it truly takes a village to run the Edmonton International Fringe™ Theatre Festival – and volunteers are at the heart of it all! Read to the bottom of this page for general information about our program.
To learn about our various volunteer teams, and to apply now, please click the button below:
Or, hop over to our FAQ & Resources page:
Our Volunteer Program
When you volunteer with us you join an enthusiastic, diverse family united in their love for fringing, theatre, and community.
Our Fringe family consists of nearly 1,200 dedicated volunteers who help us accommodate more than 800,000 patrons each year. Volunteers support various areas of the Festival such as box offices, beer tents, first aid, and KidsFringe. More than 15% of our volunteers have been volunteering with us for more than 10 years! We even have volunteers who have been serving since our Festival first exploded onto the scene in 1982.
We welcome volunteers of all backgrounds, abilities, and strengths. Our volunteer program centers on teamwork, respect, and creativity. Each volunteer team has its own set of requirements, but we have some basic requirements that apply to all Fringe Festival volunteers.
All volunteers must:
- Be 14 years of age or older at the start of the Festival;
- Attend a two hour orientation session, training session, and/or online orientation;
- Serve a minimum of 4 shifts (approximately 16 hours) during the 11-day Festival;
- Agree to and abide by our Volunteer Code of Conduct; and
- Fulfill additional team-specific requirements, as outlined in the team descriptions.
If you have any questions about our volunteer requirements or would like to chat with us about your needs, skills, preferences, and any potential accommodations or job modifications, please get in touch! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-409-1922.
Volunteers are the backbone of fringing. Here are a few ways we show our love and appreciation for all our volunteers do:
- Fringe Bucks to redeem for tickets to Festival and Holdover shows and to enter in prize draws;
- Access to free tickets given to volunteers by Festival artists;
- Festival volunteer t-shirt and Program Guide;
- Hot meal vouchers and snacks;
- Invitation to mid-Festival Pancake Brunch;
- Invitation to the volunteer Wrap Party;
- Volunteer for 20+ hours during the Festival and receive a collector’s edition Festival theme pin, available only to volunteers; and
- Volunteer for 10+ years and attend our annual long-service event.
The volunteer department staff are here to help if you have any questions about the volunteer program. Once your application has been accepted, most of your questions can be directed to your Team Leaders – our wonderful group of 100+ year round volunteers who support and supervise volunteers before and during the Festival.