Questions? We have answers! We’re here to help make your Fringe awesome.
Below find the burning questions we get asked most regularly — just click the question to reveal the answer.
Not finding the info you need below? We’ve got you (and we’ll find the answer to your questions, too!). Give us a call at 780-409-1910, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or send us a message.
The Edmonton International Fringe™ Theatre Festival is an annual theatre Festival produced by Fringe Theatre.
Every August, 1,600+ artists descend upon Edmonton to participate in the largest, longest-running Fringe Festival in North America.
Offering 1,600+ performances across 45+ venues in just 11 days, our Festival has deep roots in the community. We are proud to call the heart of Old Strathcona home.
Fringe Festivals create creative collisions between artists and audience. Fringe Theatre is a founding member of the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals. As a member we follow these core principles:
- Shows are unjuried and uncensored to inspire artistic innovation through audience-driven curation;
- Artists are selected through a lottery process to ensure a wide range of ability and talent;
- Artists receive 100% of the ticket price, because no one artist should starve and all artists should reap the benefits of their hard work; and
- The Festival provides opportunities for everyone to participate!
Festival Site hours are:
Thursday, August 15: 6pm – 11pm
Friday, August 16 – Saturday, August 24: 11am – 11pm
Sunday, August 25: 11am – 8pm
Festival Program Guides go on sale August 1, 2019.
Purchase your Festival Program Guide online before August 6 and we’ll mail it directly to you!
During the Festival, guides can be purchased at any box office location Box Office Information.
Access to the Festival site is free. However, indoor theatre shows are ticketed.
Tickets go on sale at 12pm (Noon) on August 7, 2019. Tickets are available online, over the phone at 780-409-1910, or in person at any of our Box Office locations.
Please visit the Box Office Information page to find out more.
Artists set the ticket price, ranging between $10 and $13 (plus GST and a $3 service fee).
PLEASE NOTE: All tickets must be picked up in person in advance of a performance. No refunds, no exchanges, no late entry, and no re-entry. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Artists set the ticket price, ranging between $10 and $13. 100% of that ticket price goes back to the artists.
The $3 service fee added to each ticket helps us cover operational costs like providing free admission to the site, printing tickets, seats to sit on in our theatre venues, staffing to support your Fringe experience, and keeping our site clean.
As a charitable organization, this $3 service helps us return 100% of the net ticket price to the artists while fostering a strong and healthy indie theatre community.
We strive to keep the total ticket prices as low as possible, and cap total cost per ticket at $16 to make it as accessible as possible, while also allowing the artists to earn a fair wage.
If you’re having trouble booking your tickets online, please call Patron Services at 780-409-1910 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entrances to the Festival site are located in Old Strathcona at:
- 83 Ave & Calgary Trail
- 83 Ave & Gateway Blvd
- 85 Ave between Calgary Trail and Gateway Blvd
All the details you need to get your Fringe on can be found below or within a few simple clicks.
- Festival Site Map
- Festival Venue Map
- Vendor & Street Performer Map
Our Festival is located in the heart of Old Strathcona, a residential neighbourhood that has been our home since 1982.
We know, it can be a drag trying to find parking in the area. But imagine how much worse it must be for the locals who have to compete with avid fringers each year to get parking in front of their own homes!
Please respect our neighbours and resist the temptation to park in the residential streets surrounding the Festival site. Please obey street signs and traffic laws, park appropriately, keep the grounds litter free, and be mindful of noise after 11pm.
For information on parking locations check out this interactive map.
Or, consider taking alternative transportation, like:
August 15-25, 2019 from 12Noon to 12Midnight
For more details on schedules, parking, and other information, please visit oldstrathcona.ca.
Please give yourself enough time to get to Fringe events, as the shuttle can’t guarantee exact times.
Tickets go on sale at 12Noon on August 7, 2019. All tickets must be picked up in person in advance of a performance at any of our box office locations. Venues may not have a box office nearby, so please plan accordingly!
Before the Festival opens on August 15, tickets may be purchased:
- Online at fringetheatre.ca
- Over the phone at 780-409-1910
- In person at the ATB Financial Arts Barns Box Office (10330 84 Avenue)
- In person at Tix on the Square (9930 102 Avenue, Sir Winston Churchill Square)
During the Festival, tickets will be available at the above locations and may also be purchased at any of the following satellite box office sites:
- KidsFringe (10139 – 87 Avenue)
- 83 Avenue near Global News Venue 3 Walterdale Theatre
- 83 Avenue near Venue 9 TELUS Phone Museum
- 85 Avenue north of the Big Rock Beer Tent
- Venue 22 Garneau Theatre
- Venue 23 Grindstone Theatre
- La Cite Francophone (8627 Rue Marie-Anne Gaboury/91 Street)
We strive to make the Festival welcoming and accessible for everyone. For information regarding site accessibility, venue accessibility, DATS drop-off, booking a wheelchair stall for a performance, or general questions about how to fringe, please contact us at 780-409-1910, email us at email@example.com, or visit the Accessibility page.
Patrons requiring a wheelchair stall for a ticketed performance must secure their ticket at the box office in person, by calling 780-409-1910, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: general admission tickets purchased online are seated, and will not ensure a wheelchair stall. For more information, please email email@example.com.
Senior ticket prices are available to Fringers aged 65-years or older. We welcome Fringers to please self-identify when they purchase tickets from any of our box office locations.
Our Festival site is for fringers of all ages!
All street performers and outdoor stage events are family-friendly.
We also have KidsFringe, a designated area where families can enjoy a variety of activities, games, and performances for the littlest fringers. Activities are suited for children ages 12 and under. KidsFringe is located at the Strathcona Community League (10139 87 Avenue), just northeast of the main Festival site.
Visit the KidsFringe page for information on programming.
Edmonton Fringe is unjuried and uncensored, which means there is no limit to the variety of shows you’ll see!
We provide categories and show ratings so you know, for instance, whether a show is a family friendly comedy or an adult drama.
You can learn more about shows here.
Or, purchase a Festival Program Guide starting August 1, which provides descriptions and details for every show.
Since everyone’s tastes are different, we couldn’t possibly guess what you would like! But, we have a lot of tools to help you decide.
- View online show listings;
- Purchase a Festival Program Guide – available at the ATB Financial Arts Barns, Chapters, Indigo, and Coles greater Edmonton locations, Tix on the Square, and Audreys Books;
- Let us take the guess work out of it! Take a chance on a show with our handy Randomizer; or
- Choose from the list of Daily Discount shows, listed at every Festival Box Office location each day of the Festival!
Pick up a copy of the Festival Guide for a hands-on version, including behind the scenes tips and interviews! Guides are available for purchase in advance of the Festival at the ATB Financial Arts Barns, Chapters, Indigo, and Coles greater Edmonton locations, Tix on the Square, and Audreys Books, or during the Festival at any Box Office locations.
Find a copy of the indoor theatre schedule on our Festival page.
Find a copy of the outdoor performance schedule on our Outdoor Events page.
Tips for seeing an indoor show:
- Remember, no refunds and no exchanges! Tickets will not be refunded or exchanged, unless under extreme circumstances, such as a show cancellation.
- Be on time! There is no late entry, and no re-entry. Many venues have performances back to back, and must start on time. Since you never know what fire-breathing, knife juggling street performer you’ll run into on your way, give yourself plenty of time to get to your venue as we aren’t able to admit latecomers. If you need to leave during a performance, please note you will not be permitted re-entry.
- Everyone needs a ticket to enter a show. Due to building safety codes, everyone (no matter their age) must have a ticket to enter a show. This includes babes in arms. All tickets (including those purchased online) may be picked up from any Festival box office.
- Meet the artists. Fringing is a shared experience. If you loved a show, don’t be shy, let the artist know. They might even be up for a friendly chat over beer, especially if you’re paying!
Tip for seeing street performers:
Festival street performers work hard perfecting their act so they can make your jaw drop. They make their living on your generosity and appreciation for their skills and entertainment. General etiquette is that if you watch a performance you should toss in a few toonies when they pass the hat. Or if you were really impressed, maybe even a twenty!
In partnership with our Lead Partner ATB Financial, each year we give away one Golden Ticket to the next year’s Fringe Festival. The Golden Ticket provides one winner 100 tickets to shows, VIP parking, and a whole lot more.
We have an extraordinary mix of artists comprised of emerging and professional performers. Since our Festival is unjuried, uncensored, and subsidizes many production costs, many different artists can participate. A Fringe show could feature a seasoned, world-famous artist who is trying out a new work, or your mailman who you never knew had a flare for community theatre.
If you’ve lost something on site or in a theatre venue, please visit Security Headquarters located at Orange Hall, immediately south of the ATB Financial Arts Barns (10330 84 Avenue), or contact our Security Dispatch directly at 587-784-2664. Security will document all lost and found items that are returned during the Festival and will be happy to help. Please note: Fringe Theatre is not responsible for any lost items.
Unless your pet is a service animal, we ask that you refrain from bringing pets onsite. We host 850,000 visits to the Festival, in addition to street performers and food vendors, and find that the atmosphere is often too chaotic for animals. If you bring non-service animals on site you may be asked to leave the grounds.
No, our site is smoke free.