You may know the Fringe Festival started in 1982 or that the Edmonton International Fringe Festival is one of the largest in the world (in non-covid times), but what do you know about its humble and rumble-y beginnings?
In this blog, there will be the following sections:
- An overview & the stops
- How to use the Story City App
- How to start your Fringe walking audio tour experience.
- Navigation Companion Materials for your tour
- FAQ’s and Troubleshooting
Enter: Next Stop: 40th and Fringe – A Fringe Theatre walking audio tour. Lace-up your walking shoes, and head out into the Old Strathcona neighbourhood to retrace the steps of Fringe’s (absolutely exaggerated, totally hysterical) history. Written by our own beloved Office Manager, unofficial Fringe historian, and lauded Fringe playwright Gerald Osborn. No artists were harmed in the making of this audio play.
On this 5-stop walking tour, you will venture through Edmonton’s historic Theatre District to learn the true (and dramatized) past of the Fringe you know and love.
You will be stopping at the following locations:
Stop 1: The Princess Theatre (10337 82 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 1Z9)
Stop 2: The Varscona Theatre (10329 83 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 2C6)
Stop 3: The Old Strathcona Farmers Market (10310 83 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 5C3)
Stop 4: The Backstage Theatre (around back, 10330 84 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 2G9)
Stop 5: Fringe Grounds Cafe (10330 84 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 2G9)
How to begin Next Stop: 40th Fringe – A Fringe Theatre Walking Audio Tour
- Download the Story City App on your smartphone app store or by visiting their website: https://www.storycity.com.au/.
- Select and download “Next Stop: 40th and Fringe” By Gerald Osborne.
- Go to the Princess Theatre (stop 1) and click the yellow ‘start’ button.
- Listen and follow the audio instructions. Transcripts of the audio are included in the app.
Navigation Companion Materials
Here are some materials to help you navigate around!
In case you’re not sure where to go next, here’s a Google Maps route of all the stops: https://goo.gl/maps/EsYNLpCxC8UZEWZe7
Here is a visual map to help navigate:
Download this map here: Walking Tour Map
- If you have any questions about the Story City App, please visit their FAQs.
- If you have questions about the Fringe, please visit our Fringe FAQs.