Fringe Theatre provides the opportunity to apply as a Bring Your Own Venue (BYOV). BYOV artists must submit an application to Fringe Theatre, as well as source their own venue. BYOV artists source their own performance venue and guarantee sole responsibility for all costs related to the production and promotion of their venue and related performances. This includes:
- The procuring and payment of rental agreements, insurance, and liability coverage for the performance venue. The venue must meet emergency, safety, occupancy and fire-code regulations, as outlined by the City of Edmonton, the Province of Alberta, and the Government of Canada. The City of Edmonton Fire Marshal must be permitted to inspect your venue.
- The procuring and payment all expenses related to costumes, props and set pieces, actor(s), director, stage manager, front of house staff, technicians, lighting and sound design, stage, masking, seating risers and chairs and any related equipment.
- The participating artist or performer guarantees that all applicable contracts and contractual obligations that may be required by professional associations, unions and holders of copyrights for the performances have been duly adhered to and are in place as required. All payments required under such contracts will be made by, and are the sole responsibility of, participating artist or performer.
- The participating artist or performer assumes sole responsibility for ensuring that the artistic content of the production abides by the laws of Alberta and Canada. The participating artist or performer will hold Fringe Theatre blameless and accepts full liability for any claims arising from these responsibilities.
- The Venue Producer provides to Fringe Theatre the performance schedule, time and duration of the show’s presentation within the start and closing times of the Festival as set by Fringe Theatre. The Fringe Theatre Lottery venue schedule will not be altered to accommodate the BYOV artist’s scheduling.
- The artist is obligated to adhere strictly to the performance schedule, time and duration as submitted for Festival Program Guide, and will be held accountable for any financial losses resulting from any deviation of the pre-determined schedule.
- Fringe Theatre will provide venue signage consistent with the Festival design and theme. It is the responsibility of the artist to pick up the venue signage from the administrative office and take it down after the Festival is over. The artist may keep the Festival signage provided or discard it at their discretion.
- BYOV shows feature in the Program Guide in the same way as all Lottery shows. There is no discrimination.
- Fringe Theatre will only support shows that fall in the Official Fringe schedule; 8 PM Thursday, August 15 to 8 PM Sunday, August 25, 2019. Any performances outside of these times will not appear in the Program Guide, online, or receive box office support.