The Edmonton International Fringe™ Theatre Festival is centrally located in the historic, trendy neighbourhood of Old Strathcona in Edmonton. The Festival’s key landmarks are the ATB Financial Arts Barns and the Wilbert McIntyre Park.
Getting to the Festival
Getting to the Festival is a breeze – no matter where you are coming from! Learn more about parking and transportation here.
What Should I Bring?
Here are a list of items we recommend you consider bringing with you:
- Comfortable, supportive shoes
- The main Festival site spans across six city blocks. And, venues hosting theatre shows are located throughout the neighborhood.
- Sunblock, hat, water, and chapstick
- Protect yourself from long sun and heat exposure, especially if you plan to watch a lot of outdoor performances.
- Poncho, rain jacket, or umbrella
- Edmonton weather can change quickly. Come prepared with a bit of rain gear!
- Casual clothing with layers
- Some theatre venues do not have air conditioning, so wearing light clothing is helpful. However, when the sun isn’t shining it can get chilly, so make sure to bring long sleeves to keep you warm when the evening rolls around.
- Cash and coins
- Outdoor performers make their living by passing the hat at the end of their show. Make sure you have some spare change to toss in to thank them for their entertainment. Plus, some vendor booths are cash only. ATM machines are also available on site.
- Tickets to your show
- All indoor theatrical shows are ticketed and require a physical ticket to enter the show. Tickets can be purchased on site or in advance online and picked up at any box office.
- Program Guide
- Festival program guides go on sale beginning August 1, 2017. They not only share great stories and behind the scene interviews with artists and Festival producers, but they also provide important information, such as show descriptions, schedules and event listing. Buy your guide in advance or purchase it from a Box Office once you arrive on site.
The Old Strathcona Neighbourhood
The Festival is located just a few minutes from downtown and the University of Alberta. Everything you need is just a walk or bus stop away. The neighbourhood has got it all, with opportunities for all five of your senses.
Home to Edmonton’s Theatre District, Old Strathcona is bustling with arts and entertainment. With more than 15 blocks of restaurants and shopping your trip to Fringe Theatre can easily become an adventure.
Looking for tips on where to go? Below are just a few of our favourite spots to dine, stay, or explore.
- The Next Act Pub
- Chianti Café
- El Cortez Mexican Kitchen + Tequila Bar
- Have Mercy
- Fat Franks
- Metterra Hotel on Whyte
- Varscona Hotel on Whyte
- Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market
- High Level Bridge Streetcar
Wherever you land, make sure to let them know you’re a Fringer, special deals might await you!Explore Old Strathcona