Position: Festival Security
Position type: Festival contract
Start date: August 5, 2022
End date: August 23, 2022
Reports to: Security Coordinator – Festival
Help us make everyone’s Edmonton Fringe Festival experience awesome! As Festival Security, you will:
- Uphold our mission that fringing is for everyone;
- Ensure the health and safety of all fringers;
- Provide radical hospitality to all fringers by building a welcoming, supportive, and accepting rapport with all festival-goers, volunteers, artists, staff, and community members;
- Calmly verbally deescalate potentially tense or hostile situations;
- Calmly and professionally respond to any potential emergency situations;
- Monitor all Festival licensed areas in compliance with AGLC;
- Conduct foot patrols of the Festival site and assess control of restricted or fenced areas;
- Use professional radio protocol and communication;
- Produce detailed reports for any incidents that occur;
- Work collaboratively with our awesome Operations, Community Care, and First Aid Teams;
- Work collaboratively with emergency personnel (Police, Fire, Medical); and
- Conduct any other duties appointed by the Security Coordinators.
This position reports to the Security Coordinator. The successful candidates for this position will be individuals who are collaborative, caring, flexible, and ready to work hard and have fun!
Is it you we’re looking for?
You’re a team player, a quick thinker, and a calm presence. You value the care of people above all else. You enjoy live events and are ready to help make Fringe awesome for patrons, volunteers, artists, and community members. You have experience in security, customer service, or live events. You are an expert at calmly de-escalating potentially tense situations and do so calmly and considerately. You welcome everyone exactly as they are and understand the value of creating a safer space where creativity and community thrive. You enjoy working in a busy, collaborative environment and are comfortable managing large crowds. A passion for fringing, live theatre, and community building is an asset!
Job requirements (note: you must have the following to be considered for this position):
- Valid and up to date SSIA licence;
- Valid and up to date AGLC ProServe certification;
- Exceptional customer service skills;
- Experience working in personable environments; and
- Experience working in licensed environments where alcohol is served.
Preferred consideration will be given to candidates who have:
- First Aid level “C”;
- De-escalation training and experience;
- Long-term experience in security and customer service;
- Experience working with community members; and
- An awareness of and respect for Indigenous culture.
To apply, send us your:
- Cover Letter – Tell us why you want to join our team and why you’d be a good fit.
- Resume – Share your past experiences with us.
Email your application to the Security Coordinator – Festival, firstname.lastname@example.org Applications will be accepted until July 20, 2022, or until suitable candidates are hired.
This job is a variable hour contract position from August 5, 2022 to August 23, 2022 with the majority of work hours during the Festival period (August 11 – August 21). Evening and weekend work is required. We are happy to discuss and adapt to any potential workplace barriers. This position requires valid SSIA and AGLC ProServe certification.
At Fringe Theatre, we foster artists. We nurture audiences. We take chances. Fringe Theatre cultivates safer spaces for brave ideas and big artistic risk.
Since its very beginning, Fringe Theatre has been the meeting place where experience, perspective, diversity, and passion are explored, uplifted, and celebrated. Representation onstage, backstage, in the Front of House and Box Office, in our administrative spaces, and in our mentorship and training programs matters. The future of theatre in Treaty 6 is equitable, diverse, inclusive, and accessible. We believe representation within our organization will lead to greater equity, diversity, inclusivity, and accessibility in our community.
We are a collaborative, playful, creative, flexible, hard-working team where big ideas and out-of-the-box approaches are encouraged. We know you have a big, beautiful, busy life outside of Fringe and we will do everything in our power to honour your humanness beyond the amazing work you do with us.
Our base of operations is the Fringe Theatre Arts Barns in Edmonton, AB (10330 84 Avenue). As the producers of the largest, longest running Fringe Theatre Festival in North America, there is an expectation that staff are reasonably available evenings and weekends based on Festival event activity.
We believe in care and kindness above all else – we’re all in this together. We are a mask-friendly environment where everyone is enthusiastically supported in their choice to care for themselves in a way that makes them feel safe and comfortable. We maintain safety mitigations in our work and performance spaces out of care for our community and will continue to adapt mitigations as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves. Staff will be trained on all COVID-19 mitigations.