Position: KidsFringe Programming Assistant
Position type: Canada Summer Jobs Summer Contract
Compensation: $17/hour at 35 hours/week over an 8-week contract
Anticipated start date: July 4, 2022
Anticipated end date: August 27, 2022
KidsFringe is looking for three outgoing, energetic individuals to act as Programming Assistants. Build leadership skills, gain experience working with children, and be a part of North America’s largest, longest running Fringe Theatre Festival.
Applicants must be available for full time hours July 4 – August 27, 2022 and meet the Canada Summer Jobs eligibility qualifications.
KidsFringe is an outdoor mini-Festival for Fringe’s youngest Festival-goers that runs August 12 – 21 from 10:30am-5:30pm daily within the Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival. It provides various free activities and programming for children ages 0-12 years.
Is it you we’re looking for?
You’re an energetic, passionate, creative emerging arts worker, producer, or youth worker interested in building leadership skills. You love working with children. You believe in radical hospitality and treat everyone with care and respect. You thrive in a busy environment and relish a workplace where no two days are the same. You love a good challenge and are awesome at creatively solving problems on your feet. You’re a team player who takes initiative and can work independently. You bring an open and positive energy to everything you do. You believe in the power of theatre, storytelling, and play, and are an enthusiastic appreciator of the arts.
- Work closely with KidsFringe Coordinator to help plan activities prior to the festival;
- Participate in training prior to the festival;
- Assist in set up and strike;
- Program and lead games and activities for large groups of kids at scheduled times throughout the day;
- Facilitate stories, songs and games in the toddler area;
- Assist in the facilitation of crafts;
- Maintain a welcoming, clean, supportive atmosphere for children, their adults and volunteers; and
- Assist with regular opening and closing duties.
Qualifications & Skills:
Meets the Canada Summer Jobs eligibility qualifications:
- is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
- is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
NOTE: *International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents
- Available to work full times hours (30-40 hrs/week) for 8 weeks (July 4-August 27, 2022);
- Previous experience working with children is an asset but not required;
- Must provide a Police Security Check, including Vulnerable Sector (covered by Fringe Theatre);
- Pro-active decision making and self-motivation;
- Strong interpersonal skills; and
- First Aid is an asset, but not a requirement.
Please fill out the form on our Canada Summer Jobs application page oremail your cover letter and resume to KidsFringe Coordinator, Alyson Dicey at email@example.com before June 1, 2022, with “KidsFringe Programming Assistant” in the subject line. We thank everyone who applies, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Fringe Theatre, we foster artists. We nurture audiences. We take chances. Fringe Theatre cultivates safer spaces for brave ideas and big artistic risk.
Since its very beginning, Fringe Theatre has been the meeting place where experience, perspective, diversity, and passion are explored, uplifted, and celebrated. Representation onstage, backstage, in the Front of House and Box Office, in our administrative spaces, and in our mentorship and training programs matters. The future of theatre in Treaty 6 is equitable, diverse, inclusive, and accessible. We believe representation within our organization will lead to greater equity, diversity, inclusivity, and accessibility in our community.
We are a collaborative, playful, creative, flexible, hard-working team where big ideas and out-of-the-box approaches are encouraged. We know you have a big, beautiful, busy life outside of Fringe and we will do everything in our power to honour your humanness beyond the amazing work you do with us.
Our base of operations is the Fringe Theatre Arts Barns in Edmonton, AB (10330 84 Avenue). Our hours of business are typically 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday, though as a busy cultural space supporting more than 500 events year-round and as the producers of the largest, longest running Fringe Theatre Festival in North America, there is an expectation that staff are reasonably available evenings and weekends based on season and Festival event activity.
We believe in care and kindness above all else – we’re all in this together. Fringe Theatre is a relaxed work environment. We are maintaining safety mitigations in our work and performance spaces out of care for our community and will continue to adapt mitigations as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves. Staff will be trained on all COVID-19 mitigations.