[Last Updated Oct. 5, 2023]
Howdy, Artists. We’re happy you’re here. Walk-by busking applications for the 2024 Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival will open in Spring 2024. Stay tuned for more information!
Fringe Theatre is the producer of the Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival. The artistic programming of the Walk-by Buskers is unjuried and selected through a lottery draw.
About the Walk-By Busker Program
Applicants agree to present 1-2 daily performances of up to 45 minutes in length, weather permitting, starting on the first Friday through the closing Sunday of the Festival.
The criteria for performing on the outdoor site:
- Abide by the laws of Alberta and Canada and is suitable for all ages; and
- The content of the performance is artistically driven
- Walk-by Busker spots are filled using a lottery draw. To enter the lottery, Artists pay an application fee of $125 + GST, which includes a non-refundable $15 + GST administrative fee. Artists under the age of 18 must list a parent or guardian as secondary contact in their application form.
- Artists not drawn for a lottery spot may be drawn for the waitlist. If a waitlist spot does not open, the Applicant will be refunded their application fee (minus the $15 + GST administrative fee) on or before August 15, 2024.
- Applicants not drawn for the lottery or the waitlist will be refunded their application fee (minus a $15 + GST administrative fee) after the draw.
- Applicants accepted into the Festival may withdraw and receive a refund of their fees (minus the $15 + GST administrative fee) until May 31, 2024. Withdrawals on or after June 1, 2024 will not be refunded.
- The company name, show title, and primary contact cannot be changed once the application is submitted. Any changes to this information must be approved by Fringe Theatre’s Artistic Director.
- Fringe Theatre will not accept TBA as a Show title or Company name. The Applicant must provide a name for both upon submission.
- Applicants accepted into the Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival cannot sell or transfer their spot in the Festival to another company. If a company/individual is found to be in violation of any of Fringe Theatre’s application/participation policies the Applicant may be removed from the lottery draw or lose their performance spot and may forfeit all or part of the Entrance fee.
If the applicant is successful in the lottery draw and wishes to participate in the Festival then it is agreed that
the Applicant will perform for donations made by the patrons of the Festival. The Applicant is obligated and accepts responsibility for remitting applicable taxes to the Receiver General of Canada. The Applicant must perform the show they submitted to the lottery draw.
WALK-BY BUSKER SUPPORT
- Fringe Theatre will provide the Applicant small pitches (2 meters in diameter) to perform on. These are for small walk-by busking and/or musical acts.
- Fringe Theatre will provide an Outdoor Performer Manager to ensure efficient operations of the pitches.
- The Applicant agrees to be present at the location twenty (20) minutes prior to the start of each performance, to set up within seven and a half (7 ½) minutes before the performance, execute the performance within the allotted time (maximum forty five, 45, minutes) and strike the pitch within seven and a half (7 ½) minutes if the end of the performance
- Please note that dangerous props are not allowed on walk-by pitches under any circumstances
- Fringe Theatre reserves the right to intervene and stop a performance at their discretion if they believe that there is an unsafe situation.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE APPLICANT
- The Applicant guarantees that all applicable contracts and contractual obligations that may be required by professional associations, unions and holders of copyrights for the performances have been duly adhered to and are in place as required. All payments required under such contracts will be made by, and are the sole responsibility of, the Applicant.
- The Applicant assumes sole responsibility for all contractual obligations related to the production under this application, and for ensuring that the artistic content of the production abides by the laws of Alberta and Canada. The Applicant holds Fringe Theatre blameless and accepts full liability for any claims arising from these responsibilities.
- The Applicant understands that Fringe Theatre recommends that all Artists arrange for their own insurance coverage, including travel insurance, to cover their activities during the Festival.
By submitting the application form, the Applicant consents to the terms set out within this application agreement.
METHOD OF PAYMENT
Fringe Theatre accepts credit card (Mastercard/Visa/American Express), certified cheque, money order, debit or cash.
Please Note: Fringe Theatre will only accept certified cheques or money orders payable to: Fringe Theatre Adventures
10330 – 84 Avenue
Canada T6E 2G9
Phone: (780) 409-9000
Fax: (780) 431-1893
Questions? We have answers. Please reach out to email@example.com