We’ve reimagined Fringe to deliver as safe an Event as possible. Things will look and feel very different this year. In fact, this year’s Event will more closely resemble the very first Fringe Theatre Event in 1982 than the Festival we know and love and left behind in 2019.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Safety mitigations to keep Fringe safe for everyone: we’re all in this together! All fringers must wear a mask inside theatre venues, keep your distance, wash your hands, and support each other.
- Fewer venues, fewer shows, smaller audiences: we have a total of 8 indoor theatre venues presenting 50+ shows over the 11 days of the Event. Audience sizes are limited to ensure everyone has lots of extra elbow room. All venues will be thoroughly sanitized before and after each performance. Fringers must always wear a mask while inside a theatre venue.
- Timed & ticketed outdoor venue access: inside ATB Park, you’ll discover the full Fringe experience. Outdoor performances, tasty Fringe treats, ice-cold Big Rock beer, a comfy spot to kick back, and even constantly changing Alberta weather to keep you guessing. This year, you will require a ticket to access ATB Park. This will help us provide you with a spacious, safe Event experience; keep crowds small; and maintain contact information for tracing purposes should we need it. Fringers are encouraged to wear a mask at busy pinch points around the site (like when ordering a beer or purchasing merchandise from our awesome staff and volunteers) but otherwise masks are not mandatory outdoors.
- Vanta Group Youth Stage in Nordic Park: we love the next generation of fringers, so we’ve created something special just for them! Our Vanta Group Youth Stage offers ticketed outdoor performances for families with plenty of spacious seating and greenspace to explore for busy littles. The Vanta Group Youth Stage is located in Nordic Park (aka Lighthorse Park – 10324 85 Ave).
- Big Rock Beer Tents, but now with 100% more contact tracing: you can down a cold one in our Big Rock Beer Tent or ATB Community Patio under the waning summer sun, but you will need to provide your contact information on entering for tracing purposes should we need it. Capacity in our Beer Tents will be kept low to provide folks lots of room to get in one of Edmonton’s most essential summer traditions.
- Digital Entertainment: not ready to make a comeback just yet? Rather fringe from the comfort of your own home? We get it. Fringe TV is jam-packed with on-demand and livestream entertainment options so you can safely Fringe from your side of the screen wherever you comfortably find yourself in the world.
Here’s what else we’re doing to help keep you as safe as possible:
- Safety mitigations to keep Fringe safe for everyone: We’re all in this together, fringer. You better believe our staff and volunteers will be wearing masks, maintaining their distance, and keeping things sparkling clean and sanitized.
- Sanitizing between Events: whether indoors or out, we’ll thoroughly mist, sanitize, wipe down, and disinfect all spaces and high touch areas – including washrooms and porta potties – between events all day, every day.
- Limited crowds: whether inside a theatre venue or outdoors in ATB Park, Fringe will be small and hyper-local this year. Tickets will be limited for this reason, so don’t sleep on grabbing yours!
- More support: we’ve upped our staff and volunteer presence to help make your Fringe experience awesome. Have a question? Our Community Care Crew will happily help you out.
- Maintaining a strict health policy: staff and volunteers will undergo a daily health check at the beginning of their shift each day of the Event. Staff who are sick or presenting symptoms of COVID-19 will be unallowed to come to site.